Sunday, February 7, 2021

Happy Halloween

 


Ok, I know, we've just had Xmas but how many of us love Halloween?
We get to dress up in fun costumes, play games, eat great food and watch 'scarry' movies. I have to be honest, it is my favourite time of the year!

But --- what is Halloween?

It's meaning goes back to 1745 and means 'Saints Evening' or 'All Hallows' --- "a celebration observed  on the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day." Also, it is said that it goes back to the ancient Celtic harvest festivals and was "Christianized" by the early church.

Well, whatever it's origin, it is great fun! Tick-o-treat / carving pumpkins / lighting bonfires / bobbing for apples.

It is interesting how witches and black cats and devils have become 'associated' with Halloween, when in fact, it was to celebrate the harvest --- a very human thing.

Now, please don't get me wrong, if someone believes that this is 'dangerous' then I do respect that --- if your faith gives you hope, please stay with it. It's just that I like to keep an open mind and enjoy the festivities that go with Halloween.

If you're interested in a more in depth study, click on Happy Halloween as it goes into the history of this celebration and the beliefs behind it.
As for me personally --- it's just great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment